Origins of ENWORKS
ENWORKS was set up in 2001 as the direct result of research by the Environment Agency into the provision of environmental support to businesses across North West England.
The research revealed that over 180 different organisations were delivering these services, yet despite best intentions there was a major duplication of effort and inconsistencies in the quality of available services.
Projects were being funded on a local basis, leading to patchy, disjointed geographical coverage and creating huge variations across the North West.
Environmental support had effectively become a postcode lottery. It was not a learning environment and local projects were continually reinventing the wheel.
The whole delivery mechanism needed shaking up and a pressing need had been identified for a co-ordinated and coherent service that would be quality assured and available to all North West businesses, regardless of size, sector or location.
As a result, a cross-sector, independent partnership of business leaders, influencers and policy-makers was formed, to define a new approach to delivering environmental business support in the North West.
ENWORKS was formed and our original vision has remained consistent ever since. Our key goals have always been to:
- Provide environmental support to companies
- Offer a consistently high quality service that meets business needs
- Avoid duplication of effort and maximise effectiveness
- Rigorously monitor and measure the impact of our services
- Improve skills and knowledge on environmental management
- Decouple environmental degradation from economic growth
- Make environmental practice profitable.